We are currently caring for over 1,800 donkeys. Over four hundred of these donkeys reside in private homes throughout the country as part of our rehoming scheme and the remainder of the donkeys are based in our four farms in the Liscarroll area.
Knockardbane Farm is our Open Farm and it is home to 134 donkeys. This farm is open to the public 365 days a year from 9am until 5pm. There are beautiful walkways to enjoy with stunning scenery and donkeys and mules to admire. There is a Visitor Centre and picnic area on site and we are proud to welcome over 50,000 visitors per year. Admission and parking are free. We consider that, being a charity dependent on the support of the public, visitors should be able to see our work free of charge.
• The Donkey Sanctuary is an international animal welfare charity and aims to protect donkeys and mules and promote their welfare worldwide.
• 29 project countries including the United Kingdom, Cyprus, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Mexico and Spain.
• 14,500 donkeys and mules provided with a sanctuary for life over the last 40 years.
• 5,072 donkeys and mules currently in care at Sanctuaries and foster homes in the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe.
• 28 overseas mobile teams and 4 overseas clinics working to alleviate the suffering of sick or injured donkeys.
• 400,000 overseas treatments given to working donkeys each year.
• Centre of excellence on the care and welfare of donkeys and mules.
• 500 donkeys rescued in 2015, 388 rescued in 2014 in Ireland.
• Over 400 donkeys rehomed around Ireland to loving homes.