A legacy to The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland helps to secure the future of our vital work.
There are two types of legacy you can leave to The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland in your Will:
- Residuary Bequest - You make provisions for your loved ones first and then leave the remainder or a percentage of your estate to the donkey Sanctuary.
- Pecuniary Bequest - You state in your Will that you are leaving a specific sum of money or a particular item to The Donkey Sanctyuary Ireland.
There is currently no payment of inheritance tax when leaving a bequest to charity which means that leaving a legacy to The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland is a tax-efficient way of donating. Find out more about how you can make a Will and leave a legacy.
Making a Will
The idea of making a Will may make us feel uncomfortable but it is a surprisingly simple and inexpensive process. Once it's done it can bring great peace of mind to you and your loved ones.
When making a Will it is advisable to seek the professional help of a solicitor. They will draw up your Will and advise on the best way for you to divide your estate. They will be able to advise you on making a legacy to a charity and what is the best way that suits you, as there are numerous ways to bequeath money.
- Make a list of all your assets with their approximate value. List any and all your liabilities.
- Choose the person(s) you would like to look after your financial affairs (your executors). Ensure that the person(s) you select is willing to act in this role.
- Decide how to divide your assets, bearing in mind your obligations to your nearest and dearest.
- Visit your solicitor to discuss your plans and to allow him/her to prepare your Will. S/he should advise you in terms of the tax implications of leaving legacies to family, friends or charities.
- Include a gift to The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland. Your solicitor can write this into your Will.
- Advise The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland that you are leaving us a gift in your Will. It will help us to plan for the future and most importantly, give us the opportunity to say thank you.
It's easy to change your existing Will to include a legacy to The Donkey Sanctuary Ireland. This change is called a Codicil and can be drawn up easily by your solicitor.